Thursday, November 13, 2008

I had the Time of my Life!



When I was 10, I saw the movie for the very first time. It changed my life forever (OK, so a little dramatic). But it definitely changed the way I walked around for at least a week. I remember wearing a blue jean skirt for 5 days straight so I could swish it around like Baby did up on that stage as she waited for Johnny to come back for her so she could do the lift. And Johnny Castle..need I say more. Patrick Swayze won my heart with his charm and his swagger. To this day, he is the one actor that I will watch a movie for just because he is in it. I bought the People magazine with him on the cover and will cherish it forever. It breaks my heart that he is so sick and we pray for him and his family.

When we were in Chicago with the girls a few weeks ago, we saw advertisements for the play. I was speechless. My favorite movie of all time (by that I mean..the one that still makes me cry, gives me chills, makes me sing, and makes me wish Chris could dance a little like Johnny) was on Broadway! How amazing! Before we left, I was using the hotel computer to see when shows were and how much plane tickets would cost. And, could it be done in one day? Where there's Dirty Dancing (and a determined Dirty Dancing fanatic) there's a way. We booked the big day a couple of weeks ago and just returned last night. It was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The play was extremely similar to the movie...all my favorite songs, dances, kisses. When watching the movie all those 500+ times, I always thought "It would be so amazing to be that in that audience watching them do their final dance." I was in that audience yesterday..I had chills, I was singing, and I wanted to dance (and I would have, but I would have been yelled at by the theater employees). Thanks to Corneice and Cassie for going with me...I know it was a little adventuresome and out of our character to do something like this...but you only live once..and I could not go on without seeing this play. Remember...Nobody puts Baby in a corner!

To my "Dancing" companions...don't forget, if we are going down in the airplane..make sure you Blow, Blow, Blow!! And if you are flying with more than one child, pick the one with the most potential! HA!


1 comment:

Corneice said...

It was a wonderful time. And very easily done in one day! But we must warn you that it is "illegal" to take a picture in the Cadillac Theater of Chicago! I mean, don't even look at the camera, much less pull it out of your purse. What a great day in a world of fantasy where I actually felt like I could dance across that stage, but back to reality today! Can't wait for the next 'out of our character' adventure.