Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Walton's Kids for Debbie


On Friday, June 5th, I participated in my first Relay for Life. I have always seen this event take place every year. My parents live very close to Barksdale; so each summer as a kid, I would ride by and see hundreds of people walking all night long..not really ever understanding why they were walking so long. Now, I get it.

This was a very rewarding evening. We worked for months raising money and encouraging those in our church who were battling cancer to continue fighting. This night was their night. We started out really because of Debbie Frazier. Debbie and her family are the type of people that you look at and know they would do anything for you..no matter what, hands down. Her husband Stanley, who can be a mess sometimes, is very quiet; but when you look in his eyes, you see straight through to his heart. And all I see is the love for his amazing wife and children that he has. It only seemed fitting for us to form a Relay for Life team in honor of Debbie and to support her wonderful family.

We mentioned in church that we were interested in doing this; I was overwhelmed by the amount of people that wanted to walk in support of Debbie. Forty-five people; some who had battled cancer already and survived..others who just wanted show their support. Over just a few months we raised about $3500. Those in our church that had survived cancer walked in purple shirts and were greeted with cheers and tears as they took their survivor lap that night.

Thank you to everyone who helped..we never could have done it alone. You opened up your wallets and your hearts and really gave all. We are already planning for next year; unfortunately, their will be others that we will have to walk for, but know God will take care of everything and there is always a plan. Fight the good fight; know you are not alone.

Check out pics in the slideshow...some from church events; some from Relay. And, I thought the title of this blog was fitting because we are all children of Jesus..and all for Debbie!

3 comments:

Corneice said...

Oh my goodness. You made me cry worse than Debbie did! But ditto to everything you said. I also see that love for his family in Stanley's eyes. And, yes, we will be there for any others who need the support as well!

Unknown said...

Again, I say thank you, for all you have done. When someone looks you in the eye and say's "you have cancer" it's like a knife in your heart and the worst fear imaginable. My Jesus,family, friends and wonderful church were all I needed to reassure me and get me through the worst nightmare of my life. My 2 and 4 year old little boys had no idea what was really going on, and everyone around us helped keep it that way.
Debbie sent me a card at the very beginning of my diagnosis with every phone number she had and told me to call her any time.
I did on several occasions and she had just the right words and calmness in her voice that I needed. She understood what I felt in every way. I love her and I love you Regina for being a wonderful Christian friend who is there to support your church family!

Corneice said...

You people have got to quit making me cry! Love you all.