Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Pumpkin Patch Part Deux



Today I went with Kaelyn's kindergarten class to Honeysuckle Hills in Coopertown. Needless to say, this was an adventure. There were about 80 five and six year olds running around. It was such a great time to spend with Kaelyn and her friends. I loved watching her interact with the other kids and her teacher. These are the things I hope she remembers most about her childhood.




With that said..this next part is specifically for my mom....



As I was waiting for the buses to pull out this morning, everything felt so unorganized and I had no idea where to go. I thought for a moment, I don't know where to go..it would just be easier to go home and have a day to get things done around the house. Then I thought of my mom..and all the times things must have been really hard on my mom and she did them anyways. When we were in Chicago, we were having fun and talking about our favorite childhood memories based on some conversation starters at American Girl Place. Today, I remembered quite a few of them. I remember the time my mom would work in my elementary school library when she was working part time. It was great to have my mom with me at school (I know what it feels like for Kaelyn to have me there). In high school, I particpated in a community service organization called Interact. During a meeting, we were responsible for leading it with a guest speaker. I had arranged for a friend of Chris' to come speak..he had just started college and I thought he could talk to us about the transition. About 2 hours before the meeting started, he had to cancel. I had no idea what I was going to do. My meeting turned in to women in the workforce and my mom was the guest speaker. Wtih about 30 minutes notice, she dressed up to the hilt and gave a great presentation in front of all my friends. She really came to my rescue. Two days before my senior prom, I went to pick up my prom dress. The store had altered the dress incorrectly and it didn't fit. Once again, my mom fixed everything. She went and bought fabric and got someone to make a new dress for me in 48 hours. WOW! These are just a few things..I didn't even mention all the softball trips, movie dates in which she drove, and all the field trips she attended.

So, I know it took 28 years to hear, but thank you. Thank you for always being the mom who threw herself into her kids and taught me great lessons along the way. I know being a single mother how much you sacrificed for us. (I can't even imagine being a single mother with my two kids.) You have made me the mother I am today and I understand more and more everyday alot of the feelings you had when we were growing up.


We are grown up..take care of yourself..make yourself happy...enjoy watching your children and grandchildren and what you have helped create. I love you.

2 comments:

bbrown said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. You know that it made me cry. I know my fondest memories of you and Stacy are the ones that I felt that I was helping out and watching you grow. Sometimes I felt the same way you did about just going home and doing other things but look at the things that I would have missed. I love you and Stacy very much and I don't what my life would have been without you and her, probably empty. Love Mama

Corneice said...

OK, so you made me cry too. Always make time for the things you can do with the kids. You will never regret it. You'll forget how tired it made you, but you'll remember how wonderful it was. And trust me, you'll miss it when it is no longer there.